Perhaps you are thinking about feeding your lizard only with vegetarian food and if that's the case, you need to know what the vegetarian pet lizards are and how to feed them. So you are at the right place, let's talk about feeding lizards...
Usually the bigger the lizard, the bigger the amount of food or prey they need to intake, some lizards love to eat insects, worms, and mice.
There are also omnivores lizards. They can eat insects, worms, and plants but they usually ingest more than 80% of fruits, plants, and vegetables.
And finally, the herbivorous lizards that need more vegetables, fruits, plants on their diets rather than insects to survive.
In this list, you will find different types of lizards. Some of them are not 100% vegetarian but they can be fed with vegetables and fruits.
Lizards that eat vegetables
Iguanas are herbivorous and they need to eat a big amount of food because of their big body type. You can also add fruits to their diet since they love them.
Types of vegetarian Iguanas
- Green Iguana
- Cuban rock Iguana
- Rhinoceros iguana
- Desert Iguanas
What do Iguanas like to eat ?
- Romaine lettuce
- Green beans
- Bell pepper
- Dandelion greens
Blue tongue skinks
These type of lizards are very popular with their unique large blue tongue they are also the vegetarian type and they love to eat fruits and vegetables.
What do blue tongue skinks like to eat ?
This is spiny-tailed lizard they are from the wild usually found it warm or hot areas like the deserts they love to eat leaves from bushes, grasses, and some fruits.
What do Uromastyx lizards like to eat ?
- Grass seeds
- Cactus flowers
Argentine Black tegu
Argentine black tegu comes in two types the black and white they love to eat healthy foods and they love to eat plants. They can be easily tamed, that is why they make great pets that can easily adapt to their surroundings.
What do Argentine Black tegu like to eat ?
They are wide-bodied lizard you can determine them by the look of their bellies which is flat and they also have a very thick tail. They originated in a hot place like deserts. They love to eat fruits, leaves, vegetables, and flowers
What do Chuckwallas like to eat ?
- Dandelion greens
- Mustard greens
- Collard greens
- Yellow flowers
These geckos are very unique they need to have a really well thought of, planned, and prepared diet that includes vitamins and minerals.
What do Bearded Dragons like to eat ?
These lizards have a heavy and strong body. They can often be found in watery areas. They can easily adapt to their surroundings but they are the rare types.
What do Caiman Lizards like to eat ?
- Red banana
These lizards have very sticky feet which allow them to climb through walls and glass tanks. They need to have a cage or aquarium full of foliage since they like climbing and they love to eat fruits.
What do Anoles Lizards like to eat ?
They have very strong tail, claws, and necks although they can easily adapt on to their environment. They like to eat fruits, vegetables, and plants.
What do Monitor Lizards like to eat ?
How to prepare fruits, vegetable, and plants to your lizard
1. Apple and Pears – make sure to cut them into very small cubes, remove the seeds and peel the skin off since they can be toxic to some lizards.
2. Lettuce – wash the lettuce to remove harmful toxins and chemicals before feeding the lizards. Give them one leaf at a time. Lizards love darker greens compared to the lighter ones.
3. Melon and Watermelons – chop the melons to remove the center and the hard parts like the skin and make sure to remove seeds before giving it to the lizards.
4. Celery and Broccoli – make sure to wash it as a whole remove the stalk and make sure to chop or shred it finely to avoid the lizards from choking. You can also give the leaves since they can eat that.
5. Strawberry and Berries – remove the top part of the berries the leaves and the hard top including the stem, then make sure to finely chop it before feeding your lizards.
6. Squash – shred the squash or finely chop it before giving to your lizard they might not be able to eat it directly since its hard for them to get it.
7. Collard and Turnip Greens – remove the stems and finely chop the leaves before giving it to the lizards. Collard greens are very healthy and popular because of its vitamins and minerals.
8. Grapes – grapes are lizards favorite treats if ever there are seeds make sure to separate it then you can crush the fruit or chop it finely before feeding them.
How to feed a lizard?
1. Identify your lizard
Since there are a lot of types, sizes, and habitats for lizards you can do a research or check a guide on how to feed them based on their size. Usually, for smaller lizards, you need to make sure that you shred or squash their food to avoid them from choking on it. For medium, to big lizards, they can handle finely chop food.
Also, make sure to create their own feeding schedule to avoid overfeeding them usually bigger lizards needs larger preys and amount of food to satisfy their hunger.
2. Check their diet
Research on your lizard’s origin and what they love to eat. It is important to check on their diet to make sure that they are getting all the nutrition’s they need in order to survive longer.
It is important that you meet their needs the right amount of food and the right vitamins and minerals for them to avoid being sick and to be healthy. Also, prepare a variety make sure that they eat different food each day.
3. Create a schedule
Creating schedule is important to avoid overfeeding or starving both can be dangerous since it can lead your lizards to die to make sure to create a board in which you can check if they are done eating or not and also put it the right amount for them to eat at a certain time,
There are many types of lizards and they usually eat different things including insects, vegetables, plants, and fruits, but if you really want to have one just to feed it with non-living food you just need to follow the tips from this article.
Please share this information with your friends...